Miss Lopez's blog

Friday, December 5, 2014

Miss Lopez's basic knitting steps

Please make sure to thank all the nonas who have been helping their grand-daughters with the knitting.  They are amazing.  I know that my knitting is basic compared to their expertise; but together we can make this wonderful art enjoyable.

These are Miss Lopez's knitting steps:

We need to start with the cast on, which is the base of our knitting project.  
Figure out how wide you want your project to be.  Make sure you make the right amount of loops:) For a simple scarf about 30 loops will do, depending on the size of the needles:)  I like to work with big needles as you can see on the videos below.  

Start by making a slip knot:



Now you cast on this way:


Once you establish how wide you want your scarf to be, then we are ready to start knitting.  I chose  a brown yarn to make an oversized brown scarf, which will match a cool hat I got!  
I ended up making 50 loops because I want my scarf to be wide :)

Same way as we did our casting on, but this time the loop that we are pulling through is going to the needle on the right, to create our patter.
So this is how we start our knitting:


Make mistakes, have fun and we will meet again next week!

No comments: