Miss Lopez's blog

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Editing Ed

In previous years, whenever I said "it's time to edit our papers!" I always heard a universal groan that included my myself!   I always dread trying to tell the kids that the papers they had worked so hard over needed some tweaking.
They don't want to add, correct or fix anything. They think their piece is just fine.
I knew I needed a plan, a way to get them excited about editing. What could possibly make them want to see red marks on their papers? I needed someone to "save the day", so I decided the kiddies needed a new friend...someone cute, yet not too cute.  I needed someone who liked to leave his mark.
Enter Editing Ed:



Who can be upset with a wild haired, google-eyed character -even if he is marking up our papers with red ink.
Along with Ed, this afternoon we were introduced to peer editing. We needed to edit our piece "
Where is Miss Lopez?" We focused on a three-step strategy for peer editing, providing compliments (1), (2) suggestions, and (3) corrections.  We critiqued our work; we suggested improvements and we used Ed to correct our spelling, punctuation and capitals:)
I did not hear any groans, but I saw lots of smiles:












No comments: