Miss Lopez's blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Number the Stars

I love listening to audiobooks. I share my enthusiasm with teachers, students, parents, and family members.  Many people are just as ecstatic to use them as I am.  Others make comments such as "That's not really reading, is it?" or "I won't let my students listen to audiobooks because that's cheating." Listening to books is certainly different from reading books, but is it cheating? Does listening to audiobooks count as reading?
I guess the answer to that question must come from your own definition of reading. If reading is understanding the content of the story or the theme, then audiobooks certainly succeed. I won't argue that the importance of decoding in teaching children to read. But, understanding the message, thinking critically about the content, using imagination, and making connections is at the heart of what it means to be a reader and why kids learn to love books.

My husband stumble upon this website Click here to read along where you can download the audio file for each chapter of Number the Stars and read along with your novel at home!  How awesome is that?!!

Have fun and see you all very soon,
Miss Lopez



No comments: